Thursday, April 8, 2010

Journal Entry 3: Holland Park

I decided to venture to west central London in the Royal Burough of Kensington and Chelsea to visit Holland Park on a whim. I have read that it was a very pretty place and when I got out of the tube, I was not disappointed. The houses were amazingly huge and so very beautiful. Though I understand that most have been converted to flats, some are still privately owned. Holland Park, both a district and a public park is really a sight for sore eyes. The park itself was bought by the London County Council in 1952 and has squirrels and peacocks, which is very odd for a public London park.



Having a walk about the park, it was completely gorgeous and oozed much needed serenity that made me forget I was in a big city.

I walked through the paths and wondered if seattle squirrels and London squirrels talked, if they could hear accents?


I went to Kyoto Garden in Holland Park and felt ever so calm as Japanese gardens can sometimes do that to a person.


Although the park and the garden is less than half a century old, the grounds on which it lies has a history of where Holland House used to be prior to the bombing of WWII, now only a portion of the house remains. Kensington and Chelsea area are really nice posh places to live. I gather that anyone who resided there came from money or was wealthy. It was just really nice to see a different part of the city where different social classes would have lived and walked through.